West Ashley real estate for sale in Charleston
PLEASANT SULLIVAN'S ISLAND
WATERFRONT HOMES CHARLESTON RELOCATION
BUYING A HOME |
SELLING A HOME |
CHARLESTON MLS | CHARLESTON
Find the perfect West Ashley Address - Search MLS for available West Ashley listings
by scenic rivers and famed plantations, West Ashley is one of
Charleston, S.C.’s oldest suburban residential areas. Exclusively
neighborhoods such The Crescent,
Edgewater Park and
South Windermere feature large homes on expansive wooded and
waterfront lots and a feeling of countryside living only five
minutes from the heart of the historic city.
Some popular Gated Communities in West Ashley: Albemarle Point, Ashley Harbor, Bulow Plantation, Colony at Heron Reserve, and Concord West of the Ashley.
Ashley is home to the site of Charleston’s original colonial
settlement in 1670, where today a state park features replicas of
the old town as well as a delightful animal forest where
indigenous species of bison, elk, black bear, fox, deer and bobcat
roam spacious habitats designed by famed naturalist Jim Fowler.
West Ashley Inside 526
West Ashley Outside 526
Ashley real estate selections feature a variety of neighborhoods,
home and lot styles, from wooded interior to river, creek and intracoastal waterway front, all minutes from downtown.
Other neighborhoods worth a mention and
close to town are Byrnes
Down, Moreland and
Ripley Light Marina.
If schools are important to you, please visit our page on Charleston County Schools and associated school reports.
Click this link
to Search the MLS for ALL West Ashley
Search by West Ashley Neighborhoods
- listings displayed on Google maps by neighborhood
Ashley River Bridge District
Some of Charleston’s premiere residential neighborhoods are just
minutes from the historic downtown area west of the Ashley River.
The Crescent,Wappoo Heights, South Windermere and Moreland offer quiet,
oak-shaded beauty near scenic marshes and waterways, and are less
than five minutes drive to the heart of old Charleston.
These wonderful neighborhoods were developed in the 1920’s and
1930’s from an area known for many years as the “Pleasure Grove”-
an expanse of gardens and tall trees between the Ashley River and
Wappoo Creek. Throughout the mid- 19th century, crowds would come
from the city by ferry boat to the Pleasure Grove for concerts by
brass bands and saber exercises of local militia. A railroad
station connecting Charleston and Savannah was added in 1860, and
the old track bed is part of a bike and foot path “greenway” that
extends for more than 10 miles in the West Ashley area today.
The first of a series of Ashley River bridges to the Pleasure
Grove area was built in 1813, and most of the original traffic was
cattle and carts filled with vegetables from outlying farms and
plantations. The lone sign on the swing bridge built in 1887 read
“walk your horses”, and the when earliest of the lift draw bridges
currently crossing the Ashley River was opened with bascule towers
and balusters in 1926, it was hailed as the “handsomest bridge in
The scenic riverfront bluffs of Moreland that overlook the
Charleston peninsula today bordered the original settlement of the
city. The colony of Carolina was established in 1670 on the
western banks of the Ashley River, where fertile high ground
provided abundant crops and game. The city was moved across the
river to the peninsula by 1680 to provide ships access to deeper
water, but the West Ashley area chosen so many years
ago remains a superb location.
scenic U.S. Highway 61 corridor is dotted with national historic
landmarks and world-famous destinations. Captivating
Magnolia Plantation and Audubon Swamp Gardens features a dazzling
display of color and wildlife; Middleton Place Plantation is famed
for its terraced colonial gardens and living history events;
and, Drayton Hall National Trust Historic Site retains one of
America’s finest examples of Georgian-Palladian architecture.
Highlights: Charleston Towne
www.charlestowne.org, Drayton Hall -
Magnolia Plantation and Gardens -
www.magnoliaplantation.com, Middleton Place -